Fingerprints, part two

Mark and I officially began our adoption journey last June. One of our first tasks was to get our fingerprints done for a FBI background check. This background check is one of at least four required by law for parents who want to adopt. We mailed in our fingerprints in July and began waiting. We knew that it would take eight to 12 weeks for the background checks to come back.

While we waited, we finished most of the rest of our home study. Summer turned into fall, our kids went back to school and then last week four manila envelopes arrived in the mail.

I was giddy. This meant our homestudy was almost done and that we were so close to being paper ready.

Or not.

On Saturday afternoon, I took the manila envelopes along with some other documents for the home study to make photo copies. When I opened the envelope with my name on it, instead of an official notice that I had no criminal record, I found a rejection letter. My fingerprints had failed.

No, no, no.

Another thing? After three crazy weeks, on Friday night my husband said, “At least this weekend will be relaxing!” We were looking forward to having time together on Saturday to make a decision on which agency we would use to adopt from Uganda. We were excited to finish up our home study with our social worker on Sunday. We were thankful we would have time to chill with the kids and enjoy our friends.

And then my fingerprints failed. While this doesn’t shake our hope that God is ultimately in control and that is plan is perfect, it does make me angry. And sad. As my husband and I have opened our hearts to loving a child from Uganda, the statistics feel like more than numbers. The statistics have stories. Stories that break my heart. If parents walk around with their hearts outside their bodies, adoptive parents walk around with their hearts halfway around the world.

I don’t want to wait two more months to bring our little girl home. She needs a mom and and dad to love and protect her.

This morning I went to the King County Courthouse in Seattle for my second set of fingerprints. The clerk who helped paid close attention to detail and made sure my fingerprints were as good as possible. She packaged them up on an official envelope and we sent them to the FBI. Please be praying that whomever receives them at the FBI would have mercy on our family. Pray that they would make the decision to expedite my file so that we don’t have to wait two more months before moving forward. And pray that we will be content with the waiting.

Sara Brinton

SARA BRINTON is a writer and entrepreneur with a passion for reforming international adoption and orphan care. She leads marketing for Noonday Collection, a business that uses fashion to create opportunity in developing countries. Sara and her husband, Mark, live in Austin, Texas with their four children, including daughter Gabrielle who was adopted from Uganda.

  • Amy

    September 21, 2010 at 12:35 pm Reply

    Thanks for stopping by our blog. Congratulations on your journey to adopt. It will be one with many rollercoasters of emotions but so so so worth it in the end. If you have any questions about Uganda, I’m no expert, but I’d be happy to try…

    Many blessings!

    • Kramsar

      May 21, 2012 at 5:24 pm Reply

      What an incredible and inpisring story. I am currently reading a book about a similar woman in Ethiopia. The book is called There Is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay Green, and the woman she profiles, Haregwoin, also is mother to dozens of AIDS orphans in Ethiopia.It is truly inpisring to read about regular, everyday people like this who decide they can’t look the other way, but that in fact there IS something they can do to make a difference to children and they DO IT. They don’t say, I don’t have the money, I don’t have the time. They simply act from the heart.Thank you for sharing this story.Shelley

Post a Comment